Historical seminar of the Scientific Research Centre, Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, active since 1992, is an international, multidisciplinary series of public lectures, short scientific meetings and round tables. It offers presentations of new, original and most relevant scientific findings and achievements from various fields of scientific research, primarily humanities and social sciences. Lectures by Slovenian as well as invited lecturers from other countries are intended to educate a wider professional public and stimulate contacts between Slovenian and other experts and researchers.
In principle there are two lectures organised each month, except in the Summer time (July and August). The Coordination Board of the Historical Seminar also cooperates with other research and higher-education institutions in Slovenia, especially with the postgraduate study programme Intercultural studies – Comparative Studies of Ideas and Cultures, jointly organised by Scientific Research Centre, Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts and University of Nova Gorica.
With the purpose of bringing the most notable research achievements closer to the wider professional public, five printed volumes of selected subjects, presented within the series, have been published since 1994:
- Pot na grmado (The way to the stake), 1994;
- Historični seminar II: Glasovi (Historical Seminar II: Voices), 1997;
- Historični seminar 3 (Historical Seminar 3), 2000;
- Historični seminar 4 (Historical Seminar 4), 2003;
- Historični seminar 5 (Historical Seminar 5), 2006;
- Mediterranean Myths from Classical Antiquity to the Eighteenth Century (a special edition of the series), 2006;
Historični seminar 6 (Historical Seminar 6), 2008;
From 2008 on, the series Historični seminar is published annually also as an on-line publication in the form of an e-book.